The property at 336 changed hands often while still a grassy meadow before John T. Farley, a wealthy builder and real estate dealer, purchased it in 1895 to begin developing a row of homes on 89th Street. The idea of constructing elaborate homes in that area may have been considered crazy at the time. Edward S. Clark was already being ridiculed with many calling the Dakota Apartments “Clark’s Folly.” The Dakota was almost 20 blocks south of Farley’s new venture. But Farley had made many wise investments including, if one can imagine, purchasing the entire block bounded by 69th and 70th streets near Amsterdam Avenue for $500,000.
By May of 1896, 336 West 89th Street saw its first owner and resident, Henry H. Hendricks. If the initiation of this building has anything to say about its karma, the Hendricks Brothers’ company history should speak for itself. Uriah Hendricks arrived in New York City from Amsterdam (via London) in 1755 to start what became the oldest firm in the American copper industry. Instrumental in the Industrial Revolution in America, Uriah’s son, Harmon Hendricks assisted in the transformation of the company to manufacture copper in the states rather than import its metals. Customers included Paul Revere and Robert Fulton both of whom the company collaborated with to find solutions to the copper shortage in America during the Napoleonic War. Harmon’s three sons, including Henry, and four grandsons continued the business. Henry is credited along with several others in having founded Jews’ Hospital, Mt. Sinai as we now know it today.
The home to these historically successful business families is currently on the market. Thom & Wilson are credited as its architects. For further information on this property contact us.
The framed historic framed letter is available for purchase upon request.